Wednesday 27 August 2008

I'm backbackback!

Whooah. Well, that was a few days of madness!

I really am so tired- calculated it all this morning. Thats me been away from home (with occasional stop ins) for 6 weeks! Lovely. I start work on Monday too- so that should be even more interesting. Trying to juggle sleep, work, SAE and social life is going to be hard. Ach, up for the challenge =P

Even so, forget the tiredness. My gosh- what an exceptional few days?!

I went thinking... "Oh my word... this is going to be rather boring. A few days of being inducted into SU." Worst thing was, I was also sick the morning we were going to leave- it was really rather horrible, having a mix of this throaty/heady cold and a sickness bug was just not nice. However, I went. Soso glad I did. It was 3 days of rather busy times yet it was in the most strange way also a time of having a "retreat". Really getting away, concentrating on God and concentrating on the next year in hand.

So, we were up North in Aviemore. In an SU base called Alltnacriche. Man- how different it is compared to Lendrick Muir. In a good way! It's one of these places that no matter how far you are from the house, you know your not going to get lost. There's a sense of just walking and knowing you have time to listen and to meditate on the things God has spoken to you today. So different from LM- at LM, you can so easily get lost in the forest! There's also just not such a strong sense of family there. Alltnacriche is a family home- you can sense that. Just to set the scene (=P), it's a picturesque house, overlooking large grounds, abounding hills and a stream with a bridge is situated just a few steps away from the door. Rabbits, Pheasents and Squirrels galore!

Every day we were stuffed with seminars, with prayer points and with LOTS of coffee! Half of those seminars were based on the work we were going to be doing with SU and what was connected with it. Such as professionalism or supporting the finance etc. The other half were seriously digging into the word of God. We had a guy called Graham Black there who was really great at what he was doing.

We worked through 1 Samuel- which I have to say, I've never completely understood well, however, I really grasped it there. We also had a seminar which was called 'Bible Engagement"- or "Personal time". Basically it addressed the whole aspect of our quiet times and meditation points with God. We were taught a different way of going through a part of the Bible- which was very helpful, then encouraged to take time out for half an hour to go out onto the grounds or in the house, and take time with one verse. It was absolutely great- I have always encouraged others to take the Bible bit by bit, because I know how exhausting and how confusing it can be to stuff information in by the bundle. Taking it 1 verse at a time though was really taking the pace slow- however, it surprised me how much I could get out of it.

Over the last 6 weeks I have been so busy with different things- trips, work etc. The staff induction was to me meant to be work, however, it really was a retreat. The one thing that my other trips didn't offer me (such as Keswick) was the time on my own to go and pray, or to think. It just really showed me clearly how important again it is to spend alone time with God. Sure, we might not have squirrels skippering about before us, or a stream and bridge, however, time is time. And moments with God go far beyond time. They should be moments cherished, moments we are excited and passionate about.

I so have to commit to being more structural with where I fit everything else. I want God to come first- and time with Him, it changes not only your day, but also your perspective.

Working through Samuel was also so inspirational and encouraging. At the very young aye of three, Samuel was already a boy committed to His Lord and Saviour. We were pushed to not just have a Positional relationship with God (being before God) but also to have a relational side to our faith- (we must have a connection with God and a one to one friendship).

Although Black's teaching was the highlight, there was far more to the few days. We had to apply lots of things to our work with SU. There were points where the house team group couldn't apply a lot of the teaching- however, it was agreed that we actually, as cleaners, do see kids even far more than some of the school workers do.

The few days were solely time to give to God. We got to know one another, got to put faces to names, but really, for me, I felt a deep connection with God that I've needed to have over the summer so dearly. Its moments that you can stop, put the God-breathed teaching into your heart, store the word of God that you have heard, and just spend time thanking Him for who He is and what He has given.

Again, its been a renewal of the need for prayer. I can't stop telling people that if you have a heart for God and for doing things for God- if you have an evangelistic calling, then begin it all in prayer. Its my belief that without God being involved in the mission that you want to begin, then its a false attempt at doing something that God needs to be a part of.

Meeting up with the Gap year girls too was really great. Its going to be good working with a few of them, however I know I am restricted to the kitchens more than anything for the next six months. That will be a little hard- however, I am just praying that God will equip me.

I have no doubts in believing that He brought me here for a reason. I also believe God brought me to it, because he does know that I can go through it with his help. This quote keeps coming back to me- "God does not call the equipped, but equips the called." I just feel that that quote sums up my job at the moment. I have no particular skilling in catering, however I do feel he will equip me in knowledge, patience and confidence.

Being away at the retreat sometimes makes you feel a little bit dizzy when you get back home. Its bad news to hear my Grandad is once again in hospital- yet, there are some blessings in that He has spent time with my Gran recollecting the past and taking a look at the good times. 

A little bit of the bad news also is that, I'm still quite ill. Rubbish thing is, I start work on Monday (full time) but I'm also working tomorrow. Its just a little bit annoying that I'm still not myself. I really don't have bundles of energy and feel a little drained still. However, I have every belief that the sniffles will go when I get praying- if your reading this and could pray too- that would be fab!

So, I actually felt like I should write my blog post first. Get it all off of my chest! Bebo doesn't seem to be working- maybe God is telling me something! =P I realised half way through last night that I actually hadn't been thinking about Bebo at all up North. Doesn't that show you something?! =P

So I have a farewell dinner tomorrow to cater for. A meeting to attend. Friday is my day to chill! Going to spend it with God! Then Sat, few of us going for a walk. Sunday- another God day! Yass. :D

I think I'm going to pester my Dad and get my provisional liscence tonight. Woop!

Anyways, 

I'm back! (FOR GOOD)

-Friend of Jesus,

Eli [: xo 


No comments: