Sunday 24 August 2008

Big Celebration... Being commissioned. I'm a part of a bigger plan.

Its been a while. I'm sorry!

So, a little bit of a mad weekend. (Little?! Seriously- I'm so tired!)

Rowan arrived on Friday, by this time, I was feeling a tiny bit better from the cold- however, it got worse. We spent the evening making video's and stuff... and awaiting my mum to arrive home from her 60 mile bike ride. 

So its not usual for my Mum to have ridden so long, or ridden at all actually. However, if some you guys don't know, my Mum also works for SU Scotland. (That's one thing I forgot to say earlier in my posts, I will be working alongside my Mum this year. Don't know whether thats a good thing or bad. I've yet to find out I think. =P) Even so, she had organised a bike ride from Altnacriche (Aviemore), to Lendrick Muir (Crook of Devon) with about ten people, to raise money for SU centres over Scotland. Just over 100 miles. My mum did the first half with my wee sister, and my Dad then did the second half, with my sister again. Mum came back home on Friday night walking like a penguin, and with bags under her eyes the size of elephants!

Rowan and me were then at the Big Celebration on Saturday. I wasn't going to work- considering I was feeling so ill. However, I went in. Worked with some really great people all day. In fact- I felt like I was dying for the most part of it, but I did have a good time. It was just under a 12 hour shift, which integrated in with the Big celebration final meeting. We catered for an expected 400 people, however 400 people didn't show up. In any case, I was making pizzas, muffins and salads. It might not sound that exciting, but it was alright.

Saw Ali and Faye- Man, I love these guys. Faye is a lovely girl. Got her heart and head right there in with God- so much respect to her and her faith. [: Ali. Well, he's just Ali. =P Legend of course... These guys both help out on SAE. Was good to see them and have a very quick catch up! Was also with Catriona for a while- girl from camp. Was class too.

So the Big celebration meeting was interesting! My name showed up on screen and I ended up having to be at the front and be prayed for and commissioned. It was slightly weird in some ways. They prayed something like, "God has taken you this way. He has opened this door". What is it with God, me, and the word 'door?'

I really can't say that until yesterday night, I had a very clear idea of what I was truly doing. Yes, it's true to say that I knew God was calling me. But more than anything, last night was an eye-opener to just how much what I'm doing will hopefully count. Standing in front of 200-300 people wasn't something I was quite expecting to do. Yet, over the next year, I'm going to be working with hundreds of kids, adults and teens - in fact, I'm going to be a part of an organisation that works with kids all over Scotland. We're not just talking hundreds- we're crossing thousands. From working in camps, to working with kids in schools all over. SU Scotland is a name that a surprising amount of people have heard. And yet- it even goes further than that! Scripture Union is touching people worldwide! I'm just another one running the race.

Its the first time I've been commissioned. I've spent the last 12 years in school. In a place where my only motive has been to learn and to make the grade. Yes, my year at SU will be to learn. I don't doubt I'll finish it with a lot more maturity, with a lot more confidence and hopefully lots of recipes to be remembered! But, I feel this year will also be to reach out and to touch. God has so clearly put me here, and it's humbling. So humbling to know this is his plan! I'm part of something huge- something that has touched many of my friends hearts.

Serving lots of hungry kids will hopefully not just be my only task at Lendrick Muir- but I'm hoping that feeding some of the spiritually hungry kids will be something that I will also come across.

Maybe last night was just a realisation that I've got so much to learn and so much to do, but yet, I'm part of not just an amazing organisation, but also I'm part of God's plan! My dream of working with kids is actually coming true! 

Don't doubt God's faithfulness, He really will stick by you.

So, this next week holds much more activity. Sleeping till ten doesn't help with my tiredness anymore! (Oh dear!) Monday to Wednesday I travel up North in a minibus with Helen's iPod 70s music  (according to her), and will be going to a SU Staff induction. Little nervous- still to meet the new gap year team and meet some of the people that are working all over for SU Scotland- Glasgow and Altnacriche included. Prayer would be so greatly appreciated!

On Thursday, I have a meeting to discuss my new job- prayer again, even in these small things... is so needed.

From Friday to Sunday I have my last few days of freedom (unless I'm called to work over the weekend). What oh what shall I do in these lovely few days?! Ideas are wanted!

God Bless you all!

-Friend of Jesus,

Eli [: xo 

No comments: